Issues and events that shape Long Island's economic and legislative landscape.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Suffolk County Small Business Assistance Recovery Centers

Suffolk County Small Business Assistance Recovery Centers

Beginning on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 Suffolk County through its Departments of Economic Development/Planning and Labor will be offering access to computers, printers and fax machines as well as counseling services to those businesses that have suffered damages from Hurricane Sandy.  Certified Business Counselors from the Small Business Development Centers at Farmingdale and Stony Brook will guide business owners through the resources available and assist with the preparation of applications for disaster assistance available through the SBA.  All services offered are free. 

Small Business Disaster Recovery Centers Locations

SC Department of Labor                          SC Department of Labor
725 Veterans Memorial Highway           300 Center Drive
Hauppauge, NY 11788                            Riverhead, NY 11901
(Smithtown for GPS users)

Monday-Friday                                          Monday -Friday
9:30 AM – 7:30 PM                                   9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
631-853-6600                                          631-852-1955

If you have a business that suffered damages from Hurricane Sandy, here are some steps to follow immediately:

  • Contact your insurance agent or broker immediately. Make sure you get the proper forms to file a claim.
  • Document: Take photos of all the damage before you do any sort of clean-up or renovations and take notes of dates, times, etc.
  • If you hire a contractor to do the work, get a few quotes and keep these for references.
  • Keep track of ALL expenses with receipts and notes of explanations. These will come in handy when you need to make proof these expenses.
  • You need to register with FEMA for assistance at: .  The web site has comprehensive information on Federal and local assistance available for both individuals and businesses.
  • In addition, whether you rent or own your own home, own your own business, or own a small agricultural cooperative located in a declared disaster area, and are the victim of this disaster, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA).  Information is available at